Thursday, February 9, 2012

Nutella Meringue Cookies

Sometimes I really feel like cookies. It's not often, despite my sweet tooth, as cookies aren't usually the sweets I crave. I recently came across a recipe for some Nutella meringue cookies that sounded really tasty. I love meringue cookies because they're so light. The last time I made them, it was nearly a disaster because my oven kept malfunctioning. Truly a 5 hour undertaking. Now, I have my new range and a perfectly functioning oven, so meringue cookies here I come!

Here's what you need:
3 large egg whites at room temperature
pinch of cream of tartar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup plus 1 T granulated sugar
1/4 cup Nutella











Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Place one rack at the bottom and one in the middle of the oven. Heat your Nutella until smooth and creamy. You can do this in a double boiler or just in the microwave. I put mine in for 30 seconds and it was perfect. Set aside. Use the whisk attachment to your mixer and whip the egg whites on medium speed until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and salt and keep mixing until soft peaks form. Increase the speed to high and add the sugar spoonfuls at a time, making sure it is well incorporated before adding more (this should take several minutes). Once all the sugar is mixed in, continue mixing until stiff peaks form. Then, with a spatula, gently combine the Nutella into the egg white mixture. Do not over mix. You want the Nutella to be marbled in the egg whites and you do not want to lose the fluffy-ness of the meringue.


Place parchment paper on 2 cookie sheets. Drop the meringue batter by spoonfuls on the parchment. This recipe will make 20-28 cookies depending on size. I made rather large cookies and got 20.


Place in the oven and set the timer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, rotate the cookie sheets and decrease the heat to 200. Cook for another 45-60 minutes. Your cookies should look not look glossy. Turn off your oven and leave the cookies in the oven as it cools for 1-2 hours. Once cooled you should be able to pick up the cookie with your fingers. Store in an airtight container.


These cookies are the perfect amount of chocolate and light airy deliciousness. They're really simple to make and are something different than a standard drop cookie. Hope you enjoy! ps: if you like the glass bowl my cookies are in, please visit my friend's Etsy store. She does amazing handmade one of a kind glass bowls and dishes. Check out McMahon Studios on Etsy or Facebook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment