Thursday, March 15, 2012

Peanut Ginger Noodle Salad



Cook with what you have. This is pretty much my mantra. Granted, I'll buy groceries based on meals I want to cook, but I'm coming up to the end of my last grocery trip's supplies so I have to get a little creative. Today, I used Pinterest for inspiration (where have you heard that before?). I saw a tasty looking sesame peanut noodle recipe, but upon reading the ingredients, determined I wouldn't be able to duplicate. Not deterred, I decided to create my own recipe with what I had at home. Here's what I created:

Dressing
1 Tbsp garlic olive oil
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp honey
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 + 1 Tbsp cup creamy peanut butter
Combine in a small bowl and mix until well incorporated. Heat in microwave for 20 seconds to soften the peanut butter and stir again. Set aside.
Salad
1 bell pepper (choose your color), chopped into small strips
4 large mushrooms, stems removed, sliced
1 large chicken breast, cooked, chopped
8-10oz soba noodles
juice from 1/2 lime
1 Tbsp sesame seeds (toasting optional)
Heat some sesame oil in a large skillet or wok. Saute the pepper and mushrooms. Transfer to large bowl. Add chicken. Cook noodles and drain. Add noodles to bowl. Pour dressing over noodle mixture and stir well. Chill for at least 30 minutes.Drizzle with lime juice and sprinkle sesame seeds over noodles before serving.
This was such a simple and delicious recipe. You can alter it based on what you have in your own kitchen or preferences for vegetables. Try adding edamame (brilliant! I'm going to go add some now!) or green onion or sprouts to the salad. Or include a tablespoon of coconut milk to your dressing. Go wild! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment