Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Homemade Pizza Pockets

I'm always looking for a new idea for lunches for the kiddos. I'm good at branching out and trying new recipes for dinners, but it's much tougher for lunches. During the week, I feed my girls plus one or more day care kiddos. I want their lunches to be healthy (obviously) but I also want them to be fun, delicious, easy to eat.....perhaps I set the bar too high. Anyway, I thought I'd try a variation on homemade pizza.

My kids (including the daycare kids) love making homemade pizza. Playing with dough, topping it on their own, the finished product is so much more fun to eat when you've made it yourself. I didn't get a chance to make up a batch of dough in my bread machine so I thought I would try some puff pastry dough. I had some in the freezer and figured it would make a good crust. I let it thaw, and then unfolded on a piece of parchment paper to prevent sticking. Once it was about room temperature, I rolled it out slightly with a rolling pin, then cut it into fourths. I cut some pepperoni into smaller pieces and cubed some real mozzarella cheese. Drop just a spoonful of pizza sauce in the middle of each square (not too much or it will make the pocket soggy), top with your favorite toppings, fold in half and seal with a fork. Bake at 375 for 10-13 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before serving. I gave the kids a little pizza sauce for dipping their pockets. Voila! A fun lunch the kids helped prepare, plus much healthier than buying the frozen ones at the store. Kids loved them!! Enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment