Thursday, November 10, 2011

Sweet Mustard Roast

We are a lucky family. My in-laws give us some fantastic canned veggies, frozen corn and beef every year. My dad gives us pork every year. We're thankful for the meat because it drastically reduces our grocery bill. My challenge is coming up with new ways to cook roasts (beef or pork). Let's face it, we've all had the beef roast cooked in the crock pot with some onion soup mix and a little broth. Can you say boring? It serves its purpose, but there's not much originality there. I think I've done a pretty good job creating meals using our roasts that aren't your same ol' recipe time and time again.

Today's recipe is a good one for either beef or pork. I made it with a pork roast and it was tasty. I had learned from a cooking class that mustard helps tenderize pork, so I thought "a tender roast?? Delish!" Here's what you need:

3-4 pound beef or pork roast
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup dijon mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp vinegar (white or apple cider)


Combine all but the meat in the bottom of your slow cooker. Stir until well mixed. Toss in your meat and roll once to cover it with the sauce. Cook on low about 6 hours. That's it! You can always crank up the heat and cook for shorter time, but I'm a fan of low and slow with the roasts.

This was a simple recipe for a great new way to cook the pork. Leftovers were tasty. And our dog loved the bone that had slow cooked all day. :) Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment