Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Vacation Snacks

I've been a busy mama. On top of the regular everyday busy-ness, I've been trying to get ready for my trip. And when I say my trip, I mean MY trip, no husband, no children. I've never done anything like this before. The last time I went out of state by myself for fun, I wasn't even married yet. This is going to be an adventure for everyone. I traveled a couple times for work when my oldest was younger, but that's been 2 years. I've never left my youngest more than overnight, and that has been with family. I'm not worried about them, really. I think they'll miss their mom, but they are on the go so much, they likely won't notice. The hubby, on the other hand, is going to have his hands full. It's always different when dad takes over, but I think this time will be even more of a change. I know that since I have been home, I've taken care of lots of tasks at home. The hubby, to his credit, does his own laundry, cleans up the kitchen and dishes after dinner and helps with cleaning on the weekends. But the everyday tasks I do. I won't list everything I take care of, but you moms out there can relate.

I'm doing my best to set the hubby up for success this weekend. The groceries have been purchased (although I'm going to pick up a few things tomorrow night). I have a list on the fridge of everything he can make for which we have ingredients, including side dishes. I have several meals frozen so all he has to do is thaw, heat and serve. I have little breakfast burritos frozen for the kids for a quick breakfast on preschool day. (Let's see how he does getting 2 kids ready and out the door by 8:10am.) I'm even making some snacks. I have this great recipe for homemade chewy granola-type bars that are always a hit. The great thing is there are so many variations of the recipe. I'll give you the basics, but have fun and see what you can create! Here's what you need:

2 cups flaked cereal (I used the generic Honey Bunches of Oats, but any flakes will do)
2 cups oatmeal (I've tried both the quick oats and instant and they both work fine)
1/2 cup chocolate covered raisins or chocolate/butterscotch/peanut butter chips
1/2 cup peanuts or almonts (I used almonds because of the cereal, but be creative)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used imitation, tasted just as good and helped me use it up!)


Lightly grease a baking pan. The original recipe calls for a 9" square pan, but I found that  makes the bars pretty thick. I use a 9"x13" pan and get 20 bars out of it. In a large bowl, mix cereal, oatmeal, raisins or chips and nuts. In a saucepan, stir brown sugar and corn syrup over low heat until it starts to boil. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter, oil and vanilla until smooth. Pour this mixture over the cereal and stir until well combined. Dump into your prepared pan, press it out smoothly and evenly. Let cool. Cut into bars.


Like I said, I use a larger pan and cut into more bars. The portions are still a pretty good size. I even wrapped some in waxed paper and put into a zipper bag to take with me on the plane. The rest will stay here for the family. Delicious snack! Hope you enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment