Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Quinoa Fruit Salad

I'm still learning when it comes to quinoa. I had never eaten it until last year. It's a funky looking little grain that can be added to lots of dishes to give it substance and boost the protein. Today's recipe is not my recipe, but one I got from my friend Cheryl. It's simple and fresh, so give it a shot! It's easily adapted for different types of fruit, so use what you have and what you like.



1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
2 cups water
pinch of salt

juice of 1 lime or lemon
3 Tbsp honey
1-2 Tbsp finely chopped mint (I used 2, but I think next time I'll just use 1)

Fruit: I used 1 cup each strawberries, blueberries and pineapple. You can increase or decrease as preferred. Think grapes, kiwi, mango, apples, oranges, whatever!

Add your rinsed quinoa, water and salt to saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat and let boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook 10-15 minutes, or until the outside of the grain becomes translucent. Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Let cool.

Make the dressing by whisking the lime juice, honey and mint in a small bowl. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine quinoa and fruit. Drizzle the dressing over the top and toss well. Garnish with additional mint if desired. You can serve at room temperature or chilled. I preferred to eat it chilled. The flavor enhanced overnight as well.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment