Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Kitchen Sink Pot Pie

You know the phrase "everything but the kitchen sink"? It describes the DELICIOUS dinner I made last night. Yesterday, I realized that I had spent all of our food budget for the month save $40 and there was a week left in the month. Problem #1: find delicious meals using what I already have in the house. I also HATE wasting food. Problem #2: I had several things in my refrigerator that I needed to use before it went bad. Problem #3: My husband bought Bisquick. He wanted to do the grocery shopping one week. I let him. I sent him with a specific list including Krusteaz pancake mix and he comes home with Bisquick. Now I have to use it up. The solution to these problems? Make a pot pie. It has been a long time since I made a pot pie. But I had meat and veggies that needed to be used. It was simple. I could prep it and have it ready to cook since Tuesdays are a busy day and I need to get our meal ready before I take my daughter to dance class. And it was so tasty! There weren't any leftovers.

Here's how I made it:
Meat: I had about a cup of steak that was already cubed into small pieces left from my pasties
Veggies: I had green beans, edamame and baby carrots in my fridge
Soup: 1 can cream of potato and 1 can cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup Bisquick
1 egg
1/3 cup milk


Brown and cook the meat.


 Add veggies. I boiled the carrots for awhile to soften them, then diced and added.

Pour in soups, milk and salt and pepper. I didn't add any salt because the condensed soups already have it in there, but a little pepper was good. Pour into an 8x8 baking dish. Mix up the bisquick, egg and milk. Pour over the meat and veggie mix.


Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until golden brown.


I forgot to take a picture before we dug into the pie. It didn't last long at all. SO delicious. And solved the "problems" I had for dinner. The great thing about this recipe is there's no right or wrong way to do it. Have chicken? Use chicken and cream of chicken soup. Use whatever veggies you have on hand. I do recommend the can of cheese soup because it made it so savory. I had mine all ready and in the fridge so we could pop it in the oven when we got home from dance class.

I have several posts ready on new recipes I've done around here. Hope you're ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment