Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Monster Cookies

Fall is a great time for baking. I generally try not to turn on my oven in the summers just to help keep the house cool, but once fall hits, I'm a baking fool. My oldest daughter loves to help me bake, and I use it to practice counting and some volume games with her (2 half cups equals 1 cup). I wanted to try out a new molasses cookie recipe, but didn't have enough molasses. Instead, we made monster cookies. Here's the recipe:

1 c butter 1/2 t baking powder
1 c white sugar 1 t vanilla
1 c brown sugar 1 c butterscotch or chocolate chips
2 eggs (I used 1/2 c each)
2 c flour 1 c coconut
1 t baking soda 2 c oatmeal
1/2 t salt

Cream together butter, white and brown sugars, vanilla and eggs. Combine flour, soda, salt, and baking powder in separate bowl. Add slowly to creamed mixture. Then add oatmeal, coconut and chips. Drop by spoonful onto cookie sheet. I made giant balls to make the cookies "monster sized." Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes being careful not to over bake. Let sit on cookie sheet for 10 minutes before moving to cooling rack. Using parchment on your cookie sheet works best.

My daughter wanted to make faces in the cookies, but we only had a small bag of M&M's from the parade. She decorated a couple cookies with eyes and ate the rest of the candies. She tells me "I don't think we're going to have enough because I ate them." Haha. The cookies were delicious and chewy. My youngest gave her lip-smacking approval!







No comments:

Post a Comment