Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Salsa Chicken

When you're on a limited budget, like my family is, you have to get creative with basic (cheap) ingredients for dinners. PLUS, I need to make them healthy and nutritious for my growing children. I try to research recipes online, but I'm especially thankful when a friend recommends something tasty. Shout out to my friend Natalie for sharing this recipe. Like many of my crock pot recipes, I made a double batch so we could eat half and freeze half for a quick meal down the road. I do this quite a bit because it doesn't take any extra effort, but it can save us on a night where I have plans or if I simply don't feel like cooking. (Moms, you can relate right??) Here's what you need (single batch):

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut in half if they're large)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup salsa or picante sauce
1 packet taco seasoning
1 cup corn
1 cup sour cream
cilantro (to taste)

In your slow cooker, add the soup and salsa and mix well. Add the chicken breasts then sprinkle the taco seasoning on top. Mix until seasoning is combined and all chicken is covered. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Remove chicken. Add the corn and sour cream and mix well. Shred the chicken and add back into the slow cooker. Turn on high and let cook for 30 more minutes. Serve over rice with cilantro on top.

Results: my family liked this recipe. It's a good combination for a nearly one-pot rounded meal (protein, veggie, dairy, starch). Plus, I have the second meal in the freezer. All we'll have to do is make more rice. Chicken and rice are inexpensive staples in our house and I like serving them in a different way. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment