Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sea Salt Caramels

I've had several people ask me for this recipe, so thought I'd indulge all of you with my sea salt caramel recipe. This recipe is nearly fool-proof as long as you have a candy thermometer and some patience. I usually make these at Christmas time and put in my cookie and candy tins for friends. They're always a crowd pleaser. You don't have to add the sea salt, but it makes it so much better. Here's what you need:

2 cups white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup evaporated milk
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 cup butter (do not substitute margarine)
1 1/4 t vanilla extract (do not use imitation)
1/4 c (approx) sea salt (optional)

Line a 12x15 cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Trust me when I recommend the parchment. It makes removing the caramels SO much easier than simply greasing the pan. In a medium sized saucepan over med-high heat, combine all ingredients except vanilla and salt. Mix it well and monitor the heat with a candy thermometer. Stir frequently. The temperature will rise quickly to 200-220 degrees and then rise slowly. Continue to stir and monitor until it reaches 250 degrees. This will take 45-60 minutes total time. Be patient! When the caramel mixture has reached 250, remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Pour the caramel into your prepped pan. Sprinkle the sea salt over the top of the caramel to desired saltiness. You must do this while the caramel is warm and soft. Let the caramels cool fully. Cut into small squares and wrap in wax paper.

I don't have any pictures for these because it's been since last December since I've made them. Although writing this blog makes me want to make some.....Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment